Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I ran a race

So, for most of my adult years I have wanted to be a runner.  I don't know why, but for some reason it always looked so appealing to me.  Until, of course, I would go for a run.  Then I would hate it.

After I had Milo, about 3 weeks after, I decided to sign up for a Half Marathon.  That was a bad idea.  I tried to train for it, but between nursing a new born baby and trying to find an hour to run with an empty bladder, it was way too much.  It started giving me post partum depression, so I ditched the race.

Then last fall, Lindsey said she had signed up for the Salt Lake Half Marathon on her birthday in April, so I took the oppurtunity to sign up as well.   When I started training, I couldn't run 2 miles without stopping.  But I stuck with it and kept running, and soon I was running 5 mile long runs.  Then I was running 5 miles multiple times a week with 8 or 9 mile long runs.  I couldn't believe it, I had become a runner.




So the race was on Saturday, and I made it.  All 13.1 miles without stopping (well except for the small bathroom break at mile 5.2).  It was my first time running with people (Megan & Lindsey) and it made it WAY easier.  While training I did all my runs by myself.  Well, me and Ryan Seacrest on the radio.  So I was really nervous to run with people. What if i couldn't keep up? Or what if I needed to slow down or stop? Or what if i couldn't talk while running?  But it ended up being so much fun and so much easier with the fun girls.  The conversation made the time fly by and trying to keep up with them on the last hill kept me running. 


And we had a pretty good time while running too, as evident by the picture above.  When we were running by these cameramen they told us we were the best runners they had seen all day.  That was a winning statement right there.  Well, that and the sign a spectator was holding that said 'You are all Kenyan's today'. 


3 comments:

Joni and John said...

Go Lizzie!! I keep trying to get back in the swing of running since I had Sam- but it is SO hard! This has given me motivation- so thank you!!

Heidi Lewis said...

That's so rad! I feel like I could NEVER do that.
You look great too. I'm sure it feels great.

Courtney said...

I'm so impressed you guys did it and every time I see those race pics I crack up.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com